Guided Tour of Career Cruising
Step 1: Start Career Cruising
Go to www.careercruising.com. Login using the USERNAME: buckscc and the PASSWORD: newtown
CREATE a username and password, and click Start (see Step 6 for details).
Once you have logged in, you will see the Career Cruising Main page. From here you can access all of the tools and features in the program. To return to this page, click on the Main button in the menu at the top of the page.
Step 2: Complete Career Matchmaker
The Explore Assessments section offers a number of assessment tools to help you discover your skills, abilities, and learning preferences that can be used to identify suitable career options. Career Matchmaker, an interactive interest inventories that can help you find careers that match your interests and understand how interests and career choices are related. Let’s begin by completing Career Matchmaker:
- Click the Assessments button in the menu bar at the top of the page and then the Career Matchmaker link
- Enter your first and last name, and click Start Now!
- Read the instructions and then click Start.
- Answer the first 39 questions. Click the blue More Info button for a brief explanation of the question.
- After you finish the first round of questions and get your initial list of suggested careers, Click the Answer More Questions link in the Improve Results section on the right side of the Career Suggestions page.
- Answer as many of these additional questions as possible, then click the gray View Career Suggestions So Far button.
- On the Career Suggestions page, click on a career to learn more about it to see how it matches up.
To return to your results, click on the Back To Matchmaker Suggestions link near the top of the page.
From the Career Suggestions page, you can browse the Matchmaker’s features by using the blue links on the right side of the screen. You can:
- View your recommended career clusters or pathways.
- Review and change your answers.
- Limit your suggestions to a particular level of education.
- See how careers not included in your list of suggestions match up with your answers.
You can also take the My Skills assessment to see how your skills match up with the skills required for careers that match your interests.
Other assessments include the Ability Profiler, a scheduled series of timed tests that help you identify your level of ability in six key areas, and the Learning Styles Inventory, an assessment tool designed to help you understand how you learn and retain information.
Step 3: Explore A Career Profile
There are hundreds of occupation profiles in Career Cruising and a number of ways to search for them by: keyword, index, school subject, career cluster, or by using the Career Selector.
- Click on the Careers button in the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click on Search By School Subject.
- Select a subject.
- Select an occupation title.
Browse through the occupation profile using the blue buttons on the left to find information about various aspects of the career, including job description, working conditions, earnings, a sample career path, and related resources.
The Education section of each profile includes direct links to related college programs.
To print a Career Profile, click the gray Printer-Friendly Report button at the bottom of the menu on the left.
Step 4: Multimedia Interviews available in Windows Media Player and QuickTime
Each Career Profile contains two multimedia interviews. Each person: answers key questions about their experiences, describes what a typical day is like in his or her occupation, explains what they like and don’t like about the job, and offers advice for people interested in entering that career.
To view these interviews, click on one of the names in the Photos & Interviews section on the left side of the occupation profile screen, use the blue buttons on the left to navigate the various sections of the interview, click one of the small icons next to the Likes, Dislikes, and Advice buttons.
Step 5: Explore Schools
Career Cruising provides detailed school profiles for thousands of 2 and 4-year colleges as well as career and technical schools across the country. You can search for particular schools or programs, or use the School Selector to find schools that meet a variety of criteria.
- Click Schools in the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click School Selector.
- Click the blue Go button for Undergraduate Schools.
- Under Type Of School select Public or Private and select either 2-Year or 4-Year.
- Click Next.
- Under Location & Setting, select a state.
- Click View Results.
- Select one of the schools listed. To visit the school’s website, click the link provided on the School Profile page.
- Click the Back To Your Results link near the top of the page to return to your list of schools.
Private Financial Aid programs can be found in this section.
- Click the Schools button on the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click Financial Aid.
- Choose Financial Aid Selector.
- Fill out as much of the information as you can—the more information you fill out, the more results you will get!
Step 6: Portfolio Tool and Resume Builder
The Portfolio tool helps you store and organize information about your career development activities and experiences. Use the gray Save To My Portfolio buttons in the School and Career Profiles and on the School Selector and Matchmaker results pages.
- Click the Portfolio button on the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Click the What Is A Portfolio? link at the bottom of the page to learn more about this section.
- Click the gray New Portfolio button.
- Fill out the personal information and select a portfolio username and password to protect your privacy.
- Click Create Portfolio.
Explore the different areas where you can store and organize information by clicking on the blue buttons on the left side of the Portfolio Homepage. Some information, such as work experiences and extracurricular activities, are shared between the Portfolio and the Resume Builder.
The Portfolio tool also includes a Resume Builder that helps you create personalized, professional-looking resumes.
- Click the blue Resume Builder button in the menu on the left side of the page to exploexplore the various sections.
- Click on the Format & View button to see the different resume styles and options.
Please use the Portfolio Activities that can be found in the Resources section for more detailed information.