Plan a Career
The Center for Student Employment and Career Development is here to help you...
Identify the Education and Training Requirements, Job Market Outlook, Working Conditions and Salary and Benefits for each Occupation on your list.
Conduct Informational Interviews and/or Job Shadow with professionals in your chosen areas.
- Visit "Explore Careers" using the Guided Tour of Career Cruising; or
- Become a student member of a Professional Association in your career field and get involved to make networking contacts; or
- Use job search information to identify employers and contact the individuals working in the positions to conduct your own informational interviews.
Weigh your Options.
- Create a Pros and Cons list for each potential Career you've chosen; and
- Discuss your list with career counselors, family members or friends; and
- If you determine that you need more information, contact the Center for Student Employment and Career Development office.
Set Goals and make a Plan.
- Set general long-term career goals, with dates; and
- Set specific short-term goals, with dates, so you can move forward until you decide; and
- Share your plan with academic advisors, career counselors, family members or friends; and
- Revisit your plans along the way, making adjustments if and when needed.
Visit the Center for Student Employment and Career Development located on the first floor of the Rollins Building on the Newtown campus, the libraries on campus or public libraries for a variety of books, periodicals and handouts.