Sample Exit Interview
Schedule in advance to give the student opportunity to prepare thoughts and questions.
Avoid scheduling on the student’s last day on the job so that there is time to take care of any action items that come up.
Exit Interview Steps
- Explain the purpose of the exit interview
- Encourage the student to be as candid as possible
- Explain that you will be taking notes
- Begin with less sensitive questions to put the student at ease
- Gradually move into areas of greater sensitivity
- Ask the student if he/she has any remaining questions or suggestions for improving the internship program
- Conclude by thanking the student for his/her time and honesty
Exit Interview Summary
Company property returned:
- How similar was your actual assignment to your expectations?
- How would you rate (company name) as a place to work?
- How well did your experience provide information about your chosen field?
- What was the best part of your intern experience?
- What was the worst part of your intern experience?
- Would you recommend (company name) to other students for an internship assignment? Why or why not?
- What suggestions do you have for improving the internship program?
Sample Exit Interview (Download in Microsoft Word format)