Reporting Sexual Assaults
Bucks County Commmunity College takes the well-being of our students very seriously. All incidents of sexual assault shold be reported to the Title IX Coordinator, however in cases of emergency, we recommend that sexual assaults be reported immediately by calling the emergency telephone number 215-968-8911 or visiting Security & Safety in Cottage 4, or the Title IX Coordinator on the Newtown campus.
Here is what to expect:
- The Director or Assistant Director of Security & Safety will meet with you in a private setting.
- A statement will be taken from you regarding what occurred.
- You will be asked to identify your assailant(s) or describe them if they are not known.
- Questions may be asked about the scene of the crime, potential witnesses, as well as what happened before and after the incident.
- These inquiries are a standard part investigation. If you wish, you may have a support person with you during the interview.
Unless there are compelling circumstances, the College will typically not file an independent police report without the consent of the victim. Victims are encouraged to cooperate with law enforcement in such cases. Depending on your preference, it may be possible for you to make a statement to College Security and the local police at the same time. However, reporting an incident is a separate step from choosing to prosecute. When you file a report you are not obligated to continue with legal proceedings or college disciplinary action. As a victim, you control whether or not the case is adjudicated through the college system, the criminal justice system or both.