Early Learning Center
View our video!
Meet the Early Learning Center director and view staff and children in action in this brief video.
Since 1973, the Early Learning Center or ELC as it is known, has provided high quality child care at Bucks. The center is licensed as a day care center by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, and is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. The ELC also participates in the Pennsylvania Keystone Stars quality definition program. The center operates, during the Fall and Spring semesters, on days when classes are in session.
The Early Childhood Learning Center’s mission is to provide excellent care and education for the three to five year old children of the students, faculty and staff of Bucks County Community College, while making available a setting in which Bucks students are able to observe the best practices in the early childhood field. Our programs enable parents to participate in College classes, programs and activities while their children have fun! We value community, diversity, respect, excellence and joy, and strive to provide an environment in which children, parents, teachers and college students learn, explore and grow together.
At the heart of the ELC program for children ages 3-5 (Preschool/ Pre Kindergarten) is a whole-hearted respect for children and belief in their abilities. Important elements of our programs are:
- Carefully prepared learning environments, which offer children genuine choices and opportunities for exploration and discovery.
- Teacher planned activities which are based not only on traditional nursery school themes but also on special interests of children and parents, including current happenings in the campus community.
- A curriculum designed to facilitate the development of general cognitive skills, as well as specific skills in language, mathematical reasoning, science, art, music and fine and gross motor abilities.
- The involvement of parents and other family members, who share their interests and talents with ELC children.
- Mutually enriching shared activities with college departments and student organizations.
- The utilization of campus areas and resources for program enrichment.