Program Mission + Goals
Bucks County Community College Mission
Bucks County Community College provides a diverse community of learners with exemplary, accessible educational opportunities and the personal connections that foster success.
To support our mission, we:
- Engage and support students in learning experiences that lead to academic excellence and provide a foundation for the pursuit of higher degrees and lifelong learning.
- Empower students with the skills and credentials to secure employment in their fields and the capability to adapt and respond to the changing needs of tomorrow’s workplace.
- Develop the critical thinking skills, broad-based knowledge, and the social, ethical, and civic responsibility of our students.
- Enrich the intellectual, cultural, and recreational life of the community.
Program Mission Statement
To improve the quality of health by responding to the needs of the Bucks County community through excellence and innovation in the delivery of this program by training students to:
- perform laboratory procedures
- understand and maintain complex instrumentation
- work as integral and essential members of the health care team.
Students in our Medical Laboratory Technician program take three semesters of core curriculum courses and special medical laboratory courses. Students are taught to use laboratory instruments and computers, collect and process specimens, and work as part of a health care team. Students are then supervised and mentored at assigned clinical affiliation sites.
Our program is designed to prepare students to work collaboratively with other hospital personnel, demonstrate skills as stated in the Standards of NAACLS (National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences), recognize how their training and expertise fit into the Health Care System, and take the national credentialing exam administered by ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology). The granting of your certificate is not contingent upon passing an external licensure examination.
Integrate knowledge learned and experienced in the disciple of general education, mathematics, science and medical laboratory science.
Achieve entry-level career competencies of a medical laboratory technician by testing biological samples using current technology to generate accurate, quality-assured laboratory results used for health and disease evaluation.
Demonstrate academic and technical competence in the professional courses of the curriculum through college and applied clinical education experiences
Take the national ASCP certification examination