General Admissions Requirements
Competitive Program Admission Requirements
Prior to submitting the Application Packet, an applicant must first meet the following requirements:
1. Complete a BCCC MLT program application
2. View MLT online information
3. Entry Requirements for Students for First Year of the Program, for students earning a non-credit Certificate:
- Have completed an Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree with course work including:
- Biology 121, 181, 228
- Chemistry 121
- Math 120
- Have a documented GPA of at least 2.75 from last school attended.
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen completed prior to the beginning of classes.
These requirements will change when BCCC will confer credits and an Associate Degree.
Clinical Affiliate Admissions Requirements
The Clinical Affiliates will have additional requirements. These requirements will include verifications of various immunizations, such as HepB, MMR, Varicella, TST, Tdap, and annual flu shot. There will be other requirements that may differ between affiliates, and these will be addressed prior to going to affiliation locations.
Enrollment and Acceptance
Follow the MLT application packet directions for submission. The class is currently limited to 20 students. The top 20 completed applications received will make up the next upcoming class, which begins with the Fall term. Letters are mailed to the applicants several weeks before the beginning of classes and include information on program orientation and registration information. This is a restricted program with limited enrollment capacity.
The issuing of the certificate is not contingent upon passing any type of external certification or licensure examination.
Major Course Hours 691 (including clinical courses)
Clinical Practice 536 clinical contact hours
Students are allowed to perform patient work only while being supervised. Although students are encouraged to help with the work in an assigned laboratory, they are not to take the place of a paid employee. A laboratory employee must sign results produced by students. Students may be employed by a clinical affiliate outside of class hours.
Class of 2018 Admissions Requirements
- To begin the MLT program application process: (Confirmation of your application will be emailed to you.)
- Have your college transcript sent by May 19, 2017 to:
Paula Marie Matthews, Bucks County Community College, 1304 Veterans Highway, Bristol, PA 19007.
You must have an Associate Degree with course work in Introductory Biology and Chemistry, Intermediate Algebra, Anatomy/Physiology, and Microbiology. When your transcript has been received, you will receive a notification via e-mail.
- Call as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for an interview. Interviews will be held in the month of June 2017.
- Students must get a flu shot for the fall semester.
- Students must have secured liability insurance for clinical rotations and show proof of their policy. For MLT it is $35.00 for a year.
- Please submit a letter of intent as to why you wish to join the MLT program.
- Final acceptance is contingent upon receipt of the following forms, clearance checks, and payment of $150.00 acceptance by August 4, 2017. Download the first 4 forms and click on the links provided for the Background/Clearance Checks. Please ensure your Healthcare Provider Certification is current. CPR Certifications must remain current through August 2018.
- Immunization Form
- MLT Physical Exam Form
- 2 Step PPD Test
- MLT Professional Reference Form. Please provide 2 professional reference forms. These must not include family and/or friends. Suggestions are professors, teachers, supervisors, managers, etc...
- Arrange for a urine drug screen. You must pay online first, then pick up a Custody and Control form from the MLT Program Director. Take that form to Quest/LabCorp for specimen collection. Results will be sent to MLT Program Director.
- Arrange for your criminal background check/FBI clearance. The fee is $27.00 and includes the fingerprinting portion as well as a copy for the applicant. Click on "register online" under registration information. The home page provides a link for current available fingerprinting sites. Students will need to forward their PAE# (Registrant ID#) after being fingerprinted to the MLT director.
- Arrange for your Pennsylvania child abuse history clearance. *
- Take the CPR class if you require Health Care Provider CPR Certification.
* A Child Abuse History or a Criminal Record and/or FBI Record may exclude the student from clinical practice which will not allow the student to meet the clinical objectives of the program. Download this form to see a list of Prohibitive Offenses. Prohibitive Offenses List PDF)
In addition to the academic admission requirements for students entering the MLT Program, the following Essential Functions are also expected of all students:
- Students must be able to visualize objects through a microscope
- Students must be able to differentiate color, shape and structures.
- Students must possess sufficient motor skills to move about in the laboratory safely
- Students must possess manual dexterity to obtain and manipulate biologic specimens, and glassware
- Students must possess the ability to read and write in English.
- Students must have sufficient hearing to be able to answer phones, respond to questions, and receive directions.
Students must be able to fulfill these essential functions. Students with disabilities may be eligible for reasonable accommodations. Prior to the start of the Program, such students should contact the Accessibility Office in Newtown at the Student Services Center in Rollins Hall. Services are available on all campuses through this office. Appointments can be made to meet at other campuses through the Newtown office.
Accessibility Office Contact Information:
- (215) 968-8182 (voice)
- (215) 968-8033 (fax)
- e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org