Accessing Your Course
Canvas (by Instructure)
Your course is using Canvas. If you are new to Canvas, please visit the
Canvas Basics course space
to become familiar with Canvas prior to the start of your course. No login is required to
access this space.
You will be able to login to Canvas about two weeks prior to the start of your class.
However, your course becomes available as of 1 AM on the official course
Log in to your Canvas course space at
- Username: Your username is the same for every system at Bucks.
- Password: your Bucks Network password (used to log into any Bucks campus computer or to access any Bucks Library online database from off campus.)
If you do not know your Bucks Username, go to WebAdvisor.
Select Account information (upper right hand corner of the screen) then select What's My User ID? and follow
the prompts. You will need to provide your last name AND either your 7 digit student ID number OR your
social security #. Your Bucks username will display on the screen.
Note: Students are uploaded to Canvas several times a day. If you registered late, you won't be
able to access Canvas until the next upload takes place.
Purchasing Your Books and Other Course Materials
While you may purchase your books and other course materials from the provider of your choice (using the
ISBN number available through the course's academic department
where applicable to ensure the correct version), both the campus bookstore
and our online bookstore,
guarantee that they stock the correct version for your course.
Approximately 3 weeks prior to the start of the session you can use the link
below to see the list of books that have been selected by your instructor. If you have
any questions about the course materials listed, please contact your instructor or the academic
this link to see the book list for your course.
Other Information about the Course
Requirements for enrollment:
- Students must have regular, reliable access to the internet to access our Canvas learning management site.
- Students must have access to a scanner so work such as graphs and calculations can be submitted electronically.
- Students must have met the following prerequisites before
enrolling in this course:
- Reading Placement test score of 42 or higher or Level 3, or
READ110 (C or better)
- Math Placement test score of 5 or higher, or MATH095 (C or better)
Challenges of E-Learning:
Course Activities - students will:
- Students utilizing the E-Learning mode require strong
independent learning skills to be successful. Although there is
flexibility about when and where you do your studying, you will find
that it takes slightly more time than is typical for a
- For a successful semester, you must be a self-disciplined,
highly motivated learner who can spend 8-10 hours each
week during our 15 week course.
- Complete the orientation to the course.
- Share information and interests with classmates.
- Complete a math skills review quiz.
- Read information and study figures, illustrations, and captions
in the textbook.
- View the instructor's presentations on each chapter.
- Discuss questions on each chapter.
- Complete chapter worksheets to prepare for chapter quizzes.
- Take timed chapter quizzes.
- Review quiz results.
- Complete homework assignments to develop critical thinking and mathematical
problem solving skills.
- Discuss questions on the homework.
- Complete investigations that explore and apply the scientific
method and assess scientific information.
- Discuss questions on the investigations.
- Collaborate in small groups to complete team investigations.
- Complete a simple observational/experimental assignment as a
- Prepare for unit tests.
- Take timed unit tests.
- Reflect on what was learned in the course.
The Essential Cosmic Perspective 6th Ed. (with Mastering
Astronomy), Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, and Voit, 2012, Pearson Addison-Wesley (Note: The E-text for this edition, with Mastering Astronomy, is also acceptable for use if the student prefers not to purchase a textbook.)
Use of the Mastering
Astronomy website is required
for this course. If you choose to purchase a used textbook without the
student access kit, you will need to purchase access from the
publisher. Instructions are provided inside the front cover.
For further information about the course or to learn more about the
instructor, please contact the instructor directly: