Getting Started With This Course
This information has expired. If you are looking for current course
information you must go to the current semester course information page.
Accessing Your Course
Blackboard Vista (Bb Vista)
Your course is using Blackboard Vista (Bb Vista)! Your student account in Bb Vista will be created about 2 weeks prior to the start of your class and you can log into the system at that time. Please use the time before the start of your class to become familiar with Bb Vista by using the tutorials provided for you.
You will be able to access your course as of
1 AM on the official course start date.
Log in to your Bucks Bb Vista course space at:
- Username: Your new user account will consist of your last name and first initial, and if necessary, followed by a random number. For example, John Smith's user account will be smithj4567
- Password: Your initial password for all systems will be reset to "bd" followed by your birthdate in mmddyy format. (Example: bd042372 for 4/23/72). You will need to establish your new password immediately, which is 6-9 characters in length, using letters & numbers. You should also establish a password hint at this time.
- To obtain your new user account go to
and select WebAdvisor. Select Account information (upper right hand corner of the screen) then select What's My User ID? and follow the prompts. You will need to provide your last name AND your 7 digit student ID number OR your social security #. Your new user account name will display on the screen
Note: If you registered late, there may be a short delay in activating your Bb Vista login.
Computer Requirements and Settings
Your computer must be correctly configured to work with Bb Vista. Before you login do the Check Browser located on the Bb Vista login page. This will ensure your browser is configured so the complete functionality of this application is available to you. If errors are detected, mandatory or recommended changes will be indicated.
Some Bb Vista courses that use content provided by textbook publishers require an access code.
If your course requires one, you will
be prompted to enter it the first time you access the course.
This access code may be
included with the purchase of a new textbook, or may be
purchased separately from the textbook publisher through
If you purchased a used textbook and do not yet have an access code, you can obtain a 15-day temporary code the first time you log in by clicking the "get temporary code" link. You will then have 15 days to purchase your access code.
Detailed troubleshooting information is available by clicking on Help
on the Bb Vista login page or on any page within the system after you have logged in.
Learning To Use Bb Vista
- Face-To-Face Workshops!
are offered at the beginning of each
full semester at the Newtown campus.
- LIVE Online Sessions!
are offered via web conferencing before the start of each modular session and full semester.
http://www.bucks.edu/e-resources/virtual-campus/after-registration/kickoff/ for dates and times.
We also encourage you to use the various "Learning Bb Vista" courses provided online when you log in to your Bb Vista account.
Purchasing Your Books and Other Course Materials
While you may purchase your books and other course materials from the provider of your choice (using the
ISBN number available through the course's academic department
where applicable to ensure the correct version), both the campus bookstore
and our online bookstore,
guarantee that they stock the correct version for your course.
Approximately 3 weeks prior to the start of the session you can use the link
below to see the list of books that have been selected by your instructor. If you have
any questions about the course materials listed, please contact your instructor or the academic
this link to see the book list for your course.
Other Information about the Course
INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 110
Students will be able to:
- The development of ability to communicate in writing within the course's discipline.
- The development of critical reading and critical thinking ability.
- Identify and explain social stability and social dynamics and their causes and consequences.
- Define or explain the basic concepts, theories, major perspectives (paradigms), and research methods of sociology. This includes the contributions of women and minority professionals in the field.
- Apply concepts, theories, and major perspectives (paradigms) to particular cases and to their own experiences using the thinking skill of analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. Students should be able to engage in all aspects of critical thinking.
- Acquire knowledge about some of the primary sub-fields within sociology, including social stratification systems based on class, race, ethnicity, and gender, as well as social institutions such as family, religion, education, politics, and economics.
- Logically organize ideas according to social science criteria in written assignments and oral presentations.
-Increase his or own cultural awareness and knowledge of ethic, racial, gender, social class, and religious diversity in the United States.
Methods of Evaluation:
Discussion participation 20% 200 points
Midterm Exam 10% 100 points
Final Exam 10% 100 points
Chapter Quizzes 40% 400 (8 at 50 pts each)
Writing to Learn 10% 100 points
Socio-Biography Paper 10% 100 points
100% 1000 points
Contact With the Professor:
Although the majority of the course work is completed individually, regular and frequent contact with me is encouraged and expected. You should feel free to contact me at any time with questions you may have. The best way to reach me is through email -email@example.com.
We will be utilizing several features of Bb Vista, but most frequently the Course Content folder, the "Discussion" tool and the "Assessments" link. Please log into Bb Vista and review the Student Orientation and Student Materials which are available to students before the start of the semester. Students will be introduced to the on-line discussion feature as well as other tools we will be using, (i.e. the Assignments Drop-Box and E-Mail). Also, make sure to do the 'Check Browser' in order for your computer to run correctly with Bb Vista.