Department of Health, Physical Education & Nursing
Gymnasium 102 • Phone (215) 968-8451
Curriculum Code No. 3190
The Recreation Leadership Certificate Program prepares the student to work in the recreation field by providing students the following skills: lifeguarding, professional CPR/First Aid, water safety instructor training, advanced skills and standards for ropes course training, and facility and events planning. The program is designed to provide students with a fundamental knowledge base of the recreation field, employment options available within this area, and to provide the students the necessary skills for gainful employment in recreation.
This program prepares students to work as aquatic directors, park service personnel, outdoor educators, program specialists and ropes course instructors.
Graduates of this certificate are able to:
- Explain the history of the outdoor recreation program and field;
- Describe the appropriate rescues needed per criteria of victim;
- Explain and describe the procedures to perform CPR (Adult, Child, Infant);
- Explain and describe the procedures to perform First Aid;
- Explain and describe the procedures to perform AED (Adult, Child);
- Describe the counseling skills and procedures to implement a counseling session;
- Describe and explain how to set up a ropes course, belay and perform a rescue;
- Explain and describe the six basic strokes in aquatics and explain stroke mechanics;
- Explain and describe how to plan an event; and
- Explain and describe the main functions and areas of concern surrounding facility design.
Certificate Course Requirements*
|HLTH110||Responding to Emergencies||3|
|PHED156||Water Safety Instructor A||2|
|PHED191||Outdoor Recreation Leadership||3|
|PHED170||Individual Fitness and Wellness||2|
|SPMT202||Facility and Events Planning||3|
ARequires prerequisite and/or co requisite.
Academic Year 2010-2011
Aquatic directors, park service personnel, outdoor educators, program specialists and ropes course instructors.
More cost information can be found here:
|Completing in 2010-2011:||Aug 10, Jan 11, May11 students|
|Completing in 2010-2011 with debt:||N/A|
|Median debt of 2010-2011 completers:||N/A|
|Normal time to complete program:||18 months|
|Completed in normal time:||N/A|
|Job placement rate:||N/A|