Earning an Associate Degree

The Associate degree will be awarded to each student who has completed these requirements

  • completion of no fewer than sixty semester credit hours;
  • completion of one of the associate degree programs;
  • a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0;
  • enrollment during the semester the degree is anticipated;
  • completion of no fewer than thirty semester credit hours in graded college-level courses at Bucks County Community College. However, individual academic departments may accept course work from a Bucks non-accredited program as internal credits, if there is an existing articulation agreement with the department. In this case, the student must still complete a minimum of fifteen (15) credits in graded courses at Bucks County Community College; and
  • fulfillment of all financial and other obligations to the College.

Bucks County Community College awards five degrees, the Associate of Arts, Associate of Music, Associate of Fine Arts, Associate of Science and Associate of Applied Science.

Students may complete more than one associate degree program. Please review and follow the guidelines below for completion of a second degree.

  • Students may earn only one degree per program/major. For example, a student who graduated from and earned an AA degree in Biology cannot receive an AS degree in Biology. A student can earn two degrees with the same degree designation. For example, a student can earn an AA degree in Liberal Arts and an AA degree in Business Administration.
  • A second associate degree will require a minimum of 15 credits different from and in addition to those needed to satisfy the first associate degree.
  • The second associate degree may use common credits. For example, both Liberal Arts: General Emphasis and Communication Studies programs require COMM110 and COMP110. If a student earned the Liberal Arts: General Emphasis degree and is now in the Communication Studies degree program, Communication Studies will use the previously completed COMM110 and COMP110.
  • Course substitutions in the new/second degree program that are requested in order to allow use of previously completed credits will be allowed only in unusual circumstances, and only with special permission of the Department Dean and the Associate Provost.
  • Students should not alternate back and forth between degree programs/majors. Students should take courses leading to one degree at a time.
  • Students receiving financial aid assistance and pursuing a second degree should speak to the Financial Aid Office to understand the ramifications/conditions of satisfactory academic progress and also time, amount limits to grant and loan programs that could affect your eligibility if seeking a second degree.