Gainful Employment disclosure information is available for this program of study.
Department of Business Studies
Penn 401 • Phone (215) 968-8227
Curriculum Code No. 3129
Students entering this program must have completed 30 college credits. 18 of which must meet general education requirements. All of the courses required for the certificate can be used to obtain a degree at a later time.
This all inclusive certificate paralegal program requires graduates to complete the same law courses required in the associate degree program. It is designed for the following individuals:
- legal secretaries seeking higher positions of employment.
- state and federal employees seeking advancement in government careers.
- people with life experience wanting to change careers.
This certificate program will qualify graduates to serve as paralegal and legal assistants for law offices, government agencies, or businesses involving legal work under the ultimate direction and supervision of attorneys.
The courses in this program are designed to impart knowledge and expertise of legal concepts, the legal system, and substantive and procedural law to qualify graduates to perform work of a legal nature that is customarily, but not exclusively, performed by a lawyer.
Graduates of this program are able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of substantive and procedural law including the operation of the legal system and the theory of law;
- Perform the duties of a legal assistant in the public and private sector or in a position relating to the practice of law; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical obligations and legal limitations of the legal assistant in the public and private sectors.
Check out this video about the program.
|LAWS100 Introduction to Paralegal Studies||3|
|LAWS110 Introduction to Nurse Paralegal Studies B||3|
|LAWS140 Civil Practice/Litigation Procedures B||3|
|LAWS220 Legal Research and Writing B||3|
|LAWS225 Advanced Legal Research and Writing B||3|
|LAWS240 Negligence and Personal Injury B||3|
|LAWS285 Internship B||3|
|Paralegal Electives A, B||9|
|Total Credit Hours||30|
Since the individual circumstances and backgrounds of students vary, all students planning to complete this certificate program must meet with their assigned academic advisor to develop a planned sequence of courses to meet their individual needs.
A Any LAWS course except 100 or 110 may be chosen.
B Course requires prerequisite.