Medical Assistant: Administrative
Gainful Employment disclosure information is available for this program of study.
Department of Business
Penn 401 • Phone: (215) 968-8227
Curriculum Code No. 3148
Administrative medical assistants complete office paperwork, schedule patients, and handle insurance billing in physicians’ offices, clinics, or insurance companies. They may work as admitting clerks, billing agents, or medical transcriptionists in hospital outpatient areas.
Graduates of this program are able to
- perform basic administrative medical assisting functions including scheduling, appointments, coding, managing accounts receivables and payables, and maintaining accounting records;
- perform within legal and ethical boundaries;
- display a professional manner and image; and
- demonstrate an understating of the anatomical structure and physiological functions of the human body and of medical terms descriptive of body systems.
|OADM140||Keyboarding/Typewriting I A||3|
|MEDA215||Medical Administrative Procedures A||3|
|MEDA216||Medical Insurance, Billing, & Reimbursement A||3|
|MEDA275||Medical Transcription I A||3|
|HITT297||Medical Coding A||3|
|MEDA205||Medical Law and Ethics||3|
|MEDA220||Medical Assisting Externship A||3|
ACourse requires prerequisite.
* All students are required to pass OADM140 Keyboarding/Typewriting either by taking the course at Bucks County Community College or by passing the appropriate challenge test given by the Office Administration Area at the College. A competency of 35 words a minute with a 5-error maximum on a 5-minute timed writing is required.
Since the individual circumstances and backgrounds of students vary, all students planning to complete this certificate program must meet with their assigned academic advisor to develop a planned sequence of courses to meet their individual needs.