Bucks Launches New Cybersecurity Degree This Fall
Earn an Associate of Science degree in two years in a quickly expanding field; classes start August 22
To keep up with increasing demand, Bucks County Community College has introduced a new Cybersecurity major available this fall when classes begin August 22. The two-year Associate of Science degree is offered through the college’s acclaimed Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Department.
“There is an unprecedented demand for highly skilled cyber security workers,” noted Lisa Angelo, Provost. “This program addresses this critical need.”
The Cybersecurity degree is prepares students for upper-division course work leading to a bachelor's degree in cybersecurity, information technology or information science. The major parallels the first two years of study required by similar majors offered at four-year colleges and universities.
Graduates of this program will be able to evaluate the hardware and software components of modern computing environments; apply networking technologies to implement, monitor and manage computer networks; assess computer system threats, agents, and attack vectors; evaluate the cyber defense tools, methods, and components used to mitigate threats; and create secure systems using security design best practices.
Cybersecurity is among 18 associate degree majors and three certificate programs offered by Bucks’ STEM Dept. To learn more about this program of study, visit www.bucks.edu/stem. For information about the more than 80 other majors offered at Bucks, visit www.bucks.edu/academics.
Advising and registration are underway for the fall semester, which begins Wednesday, August 22. Classes are held at the original campus in Newtown, the Gene and Marlene Epstein Campus at Lower Bucks in Bristol, the Upper Bucks Campus in Perkasie, and online. Students may apply online for free at www.bucks.edu. Tuition is only $150 a credit for Bucks County residents.
Special walk-in advising and registration events take place on the following dates:
- 1 – 7 p.m. Monday, August 13, Upper Bucks Campus, One Hillendale Rd., Perkasie, Pa.
- 1 – 7 p.m. Tuesday, August 14, Epstein Campus at Lower Bucks, 1304 Veterans Highway, Bristol, Pa.
- 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Thursday, August 16, Newtown Campus – Linksz Pavilion, 275 Swamp Rd., Newtown, Pa.
- 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Friday, August 17, Newtown Campus – Linksz Pavilion, 275 Swamp Rd., Newtown, Pa.
- 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday, August 20, Newtown Campus – Linksz Pavilion, 275 Swamp Rd., Newtown, Pa.
- 1 – 9 p.m. Tuesday, August 21, Newtown Campus – Linksz Pavilion, 275 Swamp Rd., Newtown, Pa.