Getting Started With This Course
Orientation for this course is recommended.
Your instructor will hold the orientation online using self-paced tools, email and/or discussions. (A self-paced orientation does NOT mean the entire course is self-paced.) You should plan to access your online course no later than the first day of the session. Failure to do so may jeopardize your grade.
Accessing Your Course
MyLab / Mastering
Your course is using MyLab / Mastering by Pearson, which requires the purchase of an
access code. This code is usually packaged with a new textbook, but may also be purchased
separately from the MyLab / Mastering website if it is not included with your book.
Information about MyLab / Mastering can be found at
Please check the Systems Requirements page to verify your computer compatibility.
Your instructor will provide an additional course code you will need to
access your specific course.
Canvas (by Instructure)
Your course is using Canvas. If you are new to Canvas, please visit the
Canvas Basics course space
to become familiar with Canvas prior to the start of your course. No login is required to
access this space.
You will be able to login to Canvas about two weeks prior to the start of your class.
However, your course becomes available as of 1 AM on the official course
Log in to your Canvas course space at
- Username: Your username is the same for every system at Bucks.
- Password: your Bucks Network password (used to log into any Bucks campus computer or to access any Bucks Library online database from off campus.)
If you do not know your Bucks Username, you can retrieve it by using the Find Your Username Form. Enter your Name, Birthday (mm/dd/yyyy) and either your 7 digit student ID number OR your social security number, then click Submit. Your Bucks username will display on the screen.
Note: Students are uploaded to Canvas several times a day. If you registered late, you won't be
able to access Canvas until the next upload takes place.
Purchasing Your Books and Other Course Materials
While you may purchase your books and other course materials from the provider of your choice (using the
ISBN number available through the course's academic department
where applicable to ensure the correct version), both the campus bookstore
and our online bookstore,
guarantee that they stock the correct version for your course.
Approximately 3 weeks prior to the start of the session you can use the link
below to see the list of books that have been selected by your instructor. If you have
any questions about the course materials listed, please contact your instructor or the academic
this link to see the book list for your course.
Other Information about the Course
BASIC COURSE INFORMATION:
This section requires students to have basic computing skills such as downloading and installing software to set up a computer properly to access myitlab.com, turning off the pop-up blocker of a web browser, and contacting tech support to troubleshoot your computer when needed. If you don’t have these basic computing skills, please don’t take the online section.
Many students encountered problems when using a Mac computer to work with Myitlab. Therefore, a Windows computer and Microsoft Office for Windows are strongly preferred unless you have excellent knowledge and skills with Mac computers and operating systems.
All registered students will be contacted via Bucks email account approximately 1 week to 10 days prior to the course start date. Please look for this message as it contains the course syllabus and outlines important course information, materials, requirements, and expectations.
The course orientation is online with self-paced tools. It is your responsibility to login to Canvas the first day of class to complete the Orientation Module. *IMPORTANT* Students are expected to complete the online orientation by the end of the first week. Students will risk being withdrawn if they fail to do so.
The Canvas course is paired with a Myitlab course space in Mylab/Mastering therefore, you MUST register in Myitlab using the instructions as shown in the Orientation Module. You will not be able to register in Myitlab early for this reason. Because this course is a paired course (Canvas/Myitlab)an instructor provided course code is not disclosed as you will register to Myitlab via Canvas. This process is explained in the Orientation Module.
Make sure you understand the difference between an "access code" and a "course code". The Access Code is purchased by you, the student, to access Myitlab (See "Textbook Information" in the Other Information about the Course area below). The Instructor Course Code is not shared as this course is set up as a paired course.
- Text/materials option 1: Print Bundle ISBN: 9780134718415. This includes: Skills for Success with Office 2016 Volume 1, 1/e and Visualizing Technology, Complete, 6e AND Myitlab w/ Pearson e-text. Print Bundle available at the bookstore.
- Text/materials option 2: All digital: ISBN: 9780134609188. This includes digital versions of each text and Myitlab access code. Option 2 can be purchased online during the registration process or at the bookstore.
FINAL EXAM REQUIREMENT:
- Students MUST have access to a computer running Windows 7 or higher and Office 2016 (or Office 2016 for Mac) along with a reliable Internet connection. Your suite should include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AND Access. Be sure you have ALL required applications. Mac users please note that MS Access is not included in any version of Office for Mac. Therefore, all MS Access assignments must be completed using a PC.
As stated, this course requires Microsoft Office 2016. As a Bucks County Community College student your college Microsoft Live account includes a subscription to Office 365 and if you are a Mac user, Office 2016 for Mac. You can download Microsoft Office 2016 or Office 2016 for Mac for free as part of your college Office subscription at https://portal.office.com/Home (You must access via your Bucks email account as this confirms your free student eligibility to download MS Office.) If you are downloading and installing the Mac version and you already have a previous Office version on your Mac, you will need to remove it before you can install Office 2016 for Mac.
- The final exam is a department requirement. It MUST be taken by all registered student in a proctored environment. Online students may take the final exam at any campus testing center or approved proctored environment. *This is the only required time you must visit campus or visit an instructor approved proctored environment.
- The exam will be administered during the final exam period. Detailed information regarding content and procedures are provided in Canvas and Myitlab.