Please read the following guideline for the online COMM 110 course.
1) Your speeches must be delivered to an audience that you assemble. The audience must contain at least eight adults. Your audience must be introduced prior to your speech and be in view throughout your speech.
2) Students must have access to a professional presentation space to deliver and videotape their presentation. Delivering your speech in a living room, den, kitchen, attic or anywhere in your home is not allowed.
3) Speeches must be posted on the Canvas course space under the appropriate assignment.
4) Students must have access to a digital video recorder. Recording your speech using a webcam is not allowed in this class.
5) Presentations must be professional in nature. Unless there is a pre-existing condition or disability that is being accommodated for, students must stand while delivering their presentation.
6) Finalized, recorded speeches must be received by the instructor by the deadline dates indicated. Speeches must be functioning and view-able when sent to the instructor. Before you submit your speech, you must watch and evaluate it. Be sure the audio level is good and that you can be seen clearly.
7) As an online learning student, you must effectively manage your own time and tasks. Stay current (or ahead of) scheduled readings and assignments. While you have some flexibility in how you complete this course, your enrollment in this course starts on the first day of the semester, so you need to get started with class work now.
8) When surveyed, students who have done well (Earned an “A”) in this class said they spent A MINIMUM of 10 to 12 hours per week completing readings, assignments and preparing for speeches. You should log into the course space at least every day during the semester.
9) The instructor’s role is not to teach you how to utilize CANVAS. You are required to have a good understanding of how to navigate the course and how to utilize all associated technology for this class. If you are new to Canvas please visit the Canvas Basics course space https://bucks.instructure.com/courses/36545 to become familiar with Canvas prior to the start of your course. No login is required to access this space.
10) A dedicated room and video camera is available in the Media Lab area of the library. Follow this link for contact information: http://bucks.libguides.com/medialab (Links to an external site.
The textbook for the course is "The Art of Public Speaking" 12th edition, by Stephen A. Lucas. Please have the book by the time the course starts.