How to Start Your Course After Registering
Follow These Four Steps
- Know your rights and responsibilities.
- Know your course. Thoroughly read your Faculty Syllabus which you can access by following the directions on the course offerings page.
- Buy your books.
- Become familiar with the online system your course uses. Canvas is our Learning Management System but your online course may include Publisher Based Materials such as MyLabs, WileyPlus, Cengage and Connect.
The syllabus mentioned above will tell you which online system your course is using. If you are new to a system, then make sure you are able to login to it and become familiar with it prior to your course start. By the time the course starts you want to be able to work on your coursework, not the technology that runs it.
- Visit the Canvas Basics student orientation course at any time to familiarize yourself with the system. As noted above, doing so prior to the course start date is highly recommended. No login is required to access this course.
- Beginning two weeks prior to a semester/session, students are uploaded to Canvas within 24 hours of course registration (longer on weekends).
- At that time, you will receive an invitation to Canvas in your student email account. Click on the link in the email and proceed to login. Check the Canvas Login Information and Help page for detailed username/password information, as it may differ from other campus system logins.
- Set up your profile and notification preferences (visit the Canvas Basics tutorial for information about these features.)
- On the first day of the semester/session at 1:00 a.m., your online course will become available and you will see it in your list of Canvas Courses.
MyLab/Mastering (formerly CourseCompass)
- If you are a first-time user of MyLab/Mastering, please follow the registration instructions. For easy reference during the registration process, you might want to print the instructions. The registration process is a one-time only occurrence.
- Your normal entry point for accessing MyLab/Mastering materials throughout the semester is www.students.pearsoned.com. After accessing that page, it is recommended that you add it to your browser's bookmarks or favorites, thereby making future access much quicker.
For MyITLab, go directly to www.myitlab.com