Online Writing Sample Questions
Questions for Students to Use for Online Submissions
**Notice that these questions are specific in nature. Questions such as "Does it look okay?" do not provide us with enough information to help you improve your writing. Please submit a specific question or we will be unable to fully help you with the assignment.**
- Does my opening sentence pull the reader in?
- Do I properly introduce the primary work and/or characters?
- Do I include sufficient background information? Too much background information?
- Is my thesis statement clear and effective?
- Do my topic sentences support my thesis statement?
- Does my thesis capture what I discuss throughout my paper?
- Is my paper properly organized?
- Are my ideas organized in a cohesive manner?
- Are my paragraphs well-developed, or do they need more detail?
- Do the ideas in my paragraphs support my topic sentences?
- Are the transitions between my paragraphs appropriate?
- Do the details in my paragraphs support my topic sentences?
- Do my quotations support my main argument?
- Do I use too much summary?
- Should I be more analytical?
- Is my paper focused? Is my direction clear?
- Do I need more examples?
- How can I strengthen my paper?
- Should I cut any information?
- Have I supported my statements with evidence?
- Are my citations correct?
- Are my verb tenses consistent throughout the paper?
- I have trouble with comma splices, and I'm not sure if I have any. Can you help me understand and correct them?
- English is not my first language, so I have some trouble with grammar and word usage. Can you show me where I have made mistakes and help me correct them?
- Have I put semicolons in the right places?
- I have difficulty with apostrophes in relationships of possession. Have I correctly used apostrophes?
- I struggle with commas; did I correctly use a comma before coordinating conjunctions (i.e. and, or, but...)?
- I know that I struggle with correct adverb usage. Can you help me identify any errors in my paper?
- Are there any fused sentences? How can I fix them?
- Do I use any sentence fragments? How can I fix them?
- Have I avoided cliches?
- Is my word choice clear in the fourth sentence of paragraph two?
- Have I used professional academic language and tone?
- Have I avoided passive voice?
- Does my conclusion effectively sum up my paper and reword my thesis?
- Do I introduce new material in the conclusion?