Ask a Librarian

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Library Services for Students

Library/Student ID Card

How do I get a library card?

Your student ID card is your library card.  Cards are issued at the Library Service Desk.  If you lose your card, a replacement card costs $3.00.

What if I don't have my library card with me?  

You should always carry your student ID card with you.  If you should fail to bring your card, we may accept another form of identification, such as a driver's license. Your identity must be established to assure that we're accessing your account.

Checking Out Materials

How long may I keep a book?   

The normal loan period is 21 days, with up to 3 renewals if the material hasn't been requested by another borrower. Materials on reserve have special lending rules.  Periodicals and reference books do not circulate.

How many books may I borrow? 

Up to 20 titles.


Does the Library have accessibility resources?

The Library is committed to serving the needs of all students. The Library has an adapted computer on the third floor with a scanner and the following software: JAWS, ZoomText, Kurzweil 3000, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and TextHelp Read & Write Gold. Students are welcome to bring headphones or microphones, and they can also be checked out from the Library. If you have questions about the adaptive software, contact The Accessibility Office at (215) 968 - 8463 (Director) or (215) 968 - 8012 (Adaptive Technology Specialist).

There is more information about accessibility at Bucks on The Accessibility Office site. For issues related to any library services or systems, please contact the Library Accessibility Liaison, Paul Proces at (215) 497-8711 or at

Renewing and Returning Materials

Can I renew library materials over the telephone?

Yes. Phone the Circulation Desk during library hours, 215-968-8009.

Do I have to return materials to the library where I checked them out? 

College library materials may be returned to any of the three campus libraries.

How do I return books when the library is closed? 

There is a book drop located at the entrance to the Newtown Campus Library.

Holds and Requests

What if the book I want is already checked out?  

The electronic catalog lists the titles that are in the Library's collection, and indicates whether the items are available or checked out. If a checked-out title is important to you, you may request, by visiting or phoning the Reference Desk, that the title be placed on hold for you. When the item is returned, it will be placed on a shelf at the circulation desk, and a notice will be sent to you, giving you 7 days to pick it up.

What if the book I want is on another campus?

Items can be sent from one Bucks campus library to another for your convenience.  Make a request at the reference desk or use the interlibrary loan form, and a notice will be sent to you in 1-3 days when the item is available for you to pick up.

What if the book I want is only in another library? 

Items not found at the College library may be requested through interlibrary loan. Ask at the Reference Desk or use the interlibrary loan form. Items borrowed from other libraries should be available within 5-14 days.

Overdue Penalties

What are the fines if I don't return materials on time?  

Students receive notification by email 3 days prior to the item due date as a reminder to return or renew materials. After this, students receive follow-up overdue notices, also by email. If materials are still not returned a block is placed on the student's college record. Students will not be able to receive grades, receive official transcripts, or register for courses.  Contact the Circulation Desk at 215-968-8009 for assistance.

Information Technology

Can I use a laptop in the library?

Laptops with wireless connections are available to borrow.  Registration is required each academic year.  Please see the Laptop Lending Policy for more information, and visit the Circulation Desk to register.

Wireless connections are available for personal laptops and other mobile devices.  Visit the Technology Learning Center for guidance.  However, be aware that we cannot assist with problems in your own computer.

 Reserving Rooms in the Library

Are there special activity areas available in the Library and can I reserve one?

Yes! There are four different spaces available for you to reserve in the Newtown Campus Library. Go to to reserve a space that best fits your needs. You may reserve a space for up to 4 hours a day. 

 Complaints and Suggestions

How do I register a complaint or suggestion?  

The Library is designed to serve the College's students and faculty. When things don't happen the way they should, you can voice your suggestion or complaint in person to the reference librarian, by contacting Reference Desk Online, or you may contact the Director of Library Services, Linda McCann, by phone at 215-968-8003 or by email at In correspondence, be sure to provide details of your suggestion, or information such as date and time of a problem, any staff involved, and your name, address and telephone number/email address if you would like a response or an opportunity to further discuss the situation.