Writing to Learn Activities Using a Computer
If you teach in a computer classroom, or if students have easy access to computers outside of class, WTL activities of all sorts can be adapted for computer writing.
What kinds of WTL tasks have we found most useful?
- Summarize and respond to readings
- Summarize key points from prior class
- Pose problems based on class material
- Clarify unclear points in reading or class
- Plan writing or speaking projects
- Discover potential audiences
- Practice format for paper/projects
- Record observations over time
- Define key terms
- Record round-robin comments for inductive learning
- Organize group-response sheets
- Capture peer review of papers in progress