VAFW145 Conceptual Furniture
Department of The Arts: Woodworking
Course Number and TitleVAFW145 Conceptual Furniture
Number of Credits3 credits
Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester4050
PrerequisitesVAFW100 (C or better) or VAFA102 (C or better)
Other Pertinent InformationSafe shop practices are emphasized. Students work five hours outside of class each week in the woodshop area under the supervision of a lab assistant or at home.
Catalog Course DescriptionThis course focuses on designing and creating conceptually-based furniture. Students create functional furniture through the process of exploring ideas, construction methods, and finishes.
Required Course Content and Direction
- Course Learning Goals
- design conceptually-based experimental furniture forms;
- demonstrate an understanding of the basic functional and structural requirements for furniture;
- build the furniture; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentation, and discussions.
- Core Learning Goals (if applicable)
This course is not included in the Core.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- demonstrate and explore concepts through basic construction techniques
- design and build scale models of idea-based furniture
- experiment with a variety of finishing techniques
- build a piece of furniture from their selected model and finish sample
- demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
- Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all projects, based upon successful design, execution, and completion of assigned woodworking projects.
- At least two individual critiques with instructor are held to assess projects using the above criteria and to review student’s overall progress.
- Instructor evaluation of tool and shop safety practices through observation and quizzes.
- Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals (if applicable)
This course is not in the Core curriculum.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:See course format. Instructor selected reference text. Slides, video, and/or digital technology are incorporated.
Teaching Methods EmployedSection VIII is not being used in new and revised syllabi as of 12/10/08.
Review/Approval Date - 2/05; Revised 6/09; Revised 4/2012