VAFA149 Architectural Stained Glass Windows
Department of The Arts: Glassblowing and Stained Glass
- I. Course Number and Title
- VAFA149 Architectural Stained Glass Windows
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- The student will have access to open lab time outside of class to complete course requirements. Tool and safe shop practices are emphasized.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students make architectural stained glass windows that are structurally sound and artistically designed. They apply the traditional techniques of cartooning, pattern making, color selection, cutting, glass decoration, and installation.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
- Course Students will:
- recognize and apply the safety procedures necessary in making stained glass windows;
- design and execute an architectural stained glass window using traditional techniques; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
- Core (if applicable) This course is not included in the Core.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- procedures necessary to cut architectural stained glass windows
- design cartooning
- pattern making
- lead glazing
- dimensional colored glass objects
- copper foil fabrication
- students will demonstrate safe shop practices
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
- Course learning goals are assessed with group critiques of all projects, based on the successful design, execution, and completion of assigned projects.
- At least two individual critiques with instructor are held each semester, to assess projects using the above criteria and to review student’s overall progress.
- Quizzes on tools and processes and safety are given.
- Students demonstrate tool and shop safety practices.
- Core (if applicable) This course is not in the Core.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Slides, video, and digital technology by instructor.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Section VIII is not being used in new and revised syllabi as of 12/10/08.
Review/Approval Date - 12/04; Revised 02/2011; Revised 4/2012