VACV137 Sound Design for Film and Video
Department of The Arts: Cinema/Video Production
- I. Course Number and Title
- VACV137 Sound Design for Film and Video
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Work outside of class is required. Departmental equipment is used in this class. Equipment sign-out procedures are reviewed in class and procedures include equipment damage and late fees.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course covers the fundamental elements of producing, designing, and editing sound for film/video. Students learn the basics of audio recording, sound editing, and multi-track sound design specifically for the moving image. Topics covered include microphone techniques, field and studio recording, Foley techniques, and using digital audio multi-tracking software.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- create through field and studio recording techniques, original sound effects;
- employ microphone techniques, and demonstrate proper dialogue recording both in the studio and field;
- record and perform Foley techniques through the use of props, surfaces, and performances;
- create soundscapes for a variety of project themes;
- edit, mix, and record audio sound tracks to digital/visual media using audio multi-tracking software and hardware; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesStudents are introduced to the hardware and software used in the capture and creation of sound used in film and video productions. Students work with field and studio microphones to create and manipulate sound. Foley techniques are introduced and students integrate these sounds into films or videos. Students are introduced to audio editing software. The basic theories of sound are introduced through analyses of sound in cinema. The techniques of studio and remote audio production will be demonstrated, discussed, and utilized. Students create and produce audio projects.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents submit three (3) projects that showcase their understanding of techniques used to design sound for film and video.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 3/07; Revised 10/2010; Revised 10/14; New Core 8/2015