REAL104 Real Estate Licensing Prep Course (Experimental)
Department of Business Studies: Real Estate
- I. Course Number and Title
- REAL104 Real Estate Licensing Prep Course (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- 750 minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- REAL101 and REAL102; or evidence of successful completion of comparable course presented to the Department of Business Studies
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- A course designed for students who have completed the educational requirements for real estate licensing in Pennsylvania, and who are preparing to take or re-take the state licensing exam. The course will emphasize strategies that lead to passing the exam, including practical test taking, question analysis, and practice.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Students will complete self-administered diagnostic tests and will be able to concentrate on areas in which their indicated level of understanding is deficient.
- Students will recognize the testing format presently used by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by PSI for the aministration of the licensing exam for real estate salespersons.
- Students will review practical suggestions on how to prepare for the licensing test, including recommendations on mental preparations, study schedules, and resources for information.
- Students will recognize the different types of test questions on the licensing exam and employ appropriate techniques that enhance the likelihood of answering the questions correctly.
- Students will identify topics and the frequency of questions on those topics most likely to be found in the salesperson exam.
- Students will cite concepts forming the basis of test questions found in the licensing exam.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Introduction to Use of Test Manual
- Valuation and Market Analysis
- Transfer of Property
- Specialty Areas
Overview of examination process
Components of test questions
Criteria for passing test
Equipment permitted in test
Computer test taking
Practical test taking strategies
Mental and physical preparation
Land-use control and regulation
Laws of agency
Practice of real estate
Real estate mathematics review
Practice salesperson examination
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:
- See course format for textbook
Modern Real Estate Practice in Pennsylvania
PSI website: www.psiexam.com
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
The importance of self motivation and engagement in the learning process will be emphasized. The course is designed to provide the students with the tools necessary to be successful in passing the real estate exam, not just a series of rote exercises for which they will receive a grade.
The course will initially consist of instructor lectures highlighting the format of the exam process and the exam questions themselves followed by discussions of the strategies to be employed to maximize success in passing the real estate exam.
Students will be required to read several concept outlines in the text and complete a self-administered diagnostic at the end of each outline prior to class. Specific topics which present themselves as a source of misunderstanding, as indicated by diagnostic tests, will be discussed in small group sessions to enable each student to examine the reasoning behind each answer. Any topics that remain a source of misunderstanding, any specific questions that have not been clearly answered on problem topics, or any questions missed but not discussed in small group sessions will be referred to the instructor for clarification.
Students will be encouraged to complete the quiz at the end of each concept outline to further reinforce the understanding of each concept presented.
The final exercise of the course will be the administration of a sample practice real estate exam, which will be used to indicate the overall understanding by each student of the exam process and material likely to be found in the real estate exam. A grade of 90% or above would be indicative of successful completion of the goals of the course.
Review/Approval Date - Unavailable