PSYC205 The Psychology of Cultural Diversity (Experimental)
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Psychology
- I. Course Number and Title
- PSYC205 The Psychology of Cultural Diversity (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Reading Placement Test score Level 3 or READ110 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The purpose of this course is to increase one's ability to relate to people whose backgrounds and experiences are different from his or her own by critically examining one's own sense of self and others' identity, personal attitudes, values and norms.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
Students will be able to:
- demonstrate critical thinking on issues of race, gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation;
- describe the impact of minority and majority status as it pertains to psychological, economic, and social experience;
- describe the etiology of racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and homophobia; and
- describe how culture and gender shape our reciprocal identities, perceptions, behaviors, and/or interactions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Definition and History of Multicultural Psychology
- Multicultural Issues Involving Research and Testing
- Differences in Worldviews and Communication
- Sterotyping, Prejudice, Discrimination, and Racism
- Cultural Identity Development
- Culture, Mental Health, and Health Disparities in Minority Groups
- Building Multicultural Competence
Additional topics/chapters may be chosen according to the interests and specialization of the instructor.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Each instructor will select one or more methods from a menu of options developed by area faculty.
These methods may include:
- A defined set of objective-style questions that can be included in unit assessments and/or end of course assessments.
- Short-answer essay questions.
- Written or oral assignments that address one or more course learning outcomes.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Students will use an acceptable textbook, library books, and materials necessary for their study of cultural diversity.
Review/Approval Date - Unavailable; New Core 8/2015