MUSL111 Principal Lesson I
Department of The Arts: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSL111 Principal Lesson I
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
Departmental Placement Exam
Enrollment in Music Transfer Major (curriculum code: 1019)
Permission of the Department of the Arts or
- Students must be registered in both Music Theory and Ear Training course sequences and an MUSE music ensemble course.
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Students meet with an instructor for a weekly 50-minute lesson. There is a music lesson fee for this course. Acceptance into Lesson 1 requires that students successfully perform and pass an audition before a Music faculty panel to demonstrate their competence in representative repertoire and technique that is commensurate with applied study at the prescribed collegiate level. Audition requirements vary by instrument and are published online by the Department of the Arts.
Students not meeting the minimum mastery level for entrance into the course will not be permitted to register for MUSL111. Instead, they will be required to register for MUSL100 Preparatory Lesson to attain the essential technical competence.
Students must successfully perform a mandatory jury exam before a Music faculty panel at the conclusion of the semester. The jury exam will serve as the sole determinant of whether a student is sufficiently qualified for admission into MUSL112 Primary Lesson 2.
Failure to demonstrate the prescribed level of musical competence at the jury exam, as evidenced by either inadequate performance of the required material or nonattendance of the jury exam itself, will constitute summary failure of the course, and a student so affected will be denied registration in the succeeding course level. Under such circumstances to continue in the MUSL111-series course sequence, the student must register for MUSL100 Preparatory Lesson and subsequently pass the associated jury examination. Satisfactory performance at this jury exam will qualify the student for registration in MUSL112 Private Lesson 2.
MUSL111-series courses are not repeatable. A total of four (4) separate registrations, one each in MUSL111, MUSL112, MUSL211, and MUSL212, is permitted. A student may register for one and only one Lesson course in a given semester.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- MUSL111 is private applied instruction on the student's principle instrument. Students develop technical competency, learn representative musical repertoire, and advance performance skills in their chosen area of emphasis.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- perform appropriate musical repertoire competently in a solo environment.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- perform assigned repertoire and technical exercises
- apply instructor's recommendations to improve performance of assigned repertoire
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents must successfully perform and pass a mandatory jury exam before a Music faculty panel at the conclusion of the semester. The jury exam will serve as the sole determinant of whether a student is sufficiently qualified to advance to the MUSL112, Primary Lesson 2.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus for individually-selected musical repertoire and technical studies.
Review/Approval Date - 4/08; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015