MUSG175 Group Instruction in Guitar (Formerly MUSA167, Guitar Minor I)
Department of The Arts: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSG175 Group Instruction in Guitar (Formerly MUSA167, Guitar Minor I)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must currently be enrolled as a Music Major (curriculum code 1019). Students must have access to a guitar for practice purposes.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course offers group instruction in guitar and introduces music reading of standard notation. Students practice right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles as applied to scales and melodies, provide primary chord accompaniment for melodies, and perform simple works for the solo guitar.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- read standard music notation;
- demonstrate right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles;
- provide primary chord accompaniment for melodies; and
- perform simple works for solo guitar.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- introduction to standard music notation
- execution of scales and melodies using right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles
- perform rimary chord accompaniment for melodies
- perform simple works for solo guitar
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents are assessed on the basis of active participation and the demonstration of proper right and left hand techniques in the contexts of the execution of scales, primary chord accompaniment, and performance of assigned repertoire.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Instructor-selected musical repertoire and technical studies. See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 11/06; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015