MUSG175 Group Instruction in Guitar (Formerly MUSA167, Guitar Minor I)
Department of The Arts: Music
- I. Course Number and Title
- MUSG175 Group Instruction in Guitar (Formerly MUSA167, Guitar Minor I)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students must currently be enrolled as a Music Major (curriculum code 1019). Students must have access to a guitar for practice purposes.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course offers group instruction in guitar and introduces music reading of standard notation. Students practice right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles as applied to scales and melodies, provide primary chord accompaniment for melodies, and perform simple works for the solo guitar.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
- Course Students will:
- read standard music notation;
- demonstrate right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles;
- provide primary chord accompaniment for melodies; and
- perform simple works for solo guitar.
- Core (if applicable) The course is not included in the Core
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- introduction to standard music notation
- execution of scales and melodies using right and left hand techniques, including strumming/plectrum and finger-picking styles
- perform rimary chord accompaniment for melodies
- perform simple works for solo guitar
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
- Course Students are assessed on the basis of active participation and the demonstration of proper right and left hand techniques in the contexts of the execution of scales, primary chord accompaniment, and performance of assigned repertoire.
- Core (if applicable) This course is not included in the Core.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Instructor selects musical repertoire and technical studies. See Course format.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Section VIII is not being used in new and revised syllabi as of 12/10/08.
Review/Approval Date - 11/06; Revised 3/2010