LAWS285 Paralegal Internship/Capstone Course
Department of Business Studies: Paralegal/Law
- I. Course Number and Title
- LAWS285 Paralegal Internship/Capstone Course
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- LAWS100 (C or better)
- Successful completion of at least fifteen (15) credit hours in paralegal courses that includes LAWS140 (C or better) and LAWS220 (C or better); and
- A GPA of 2.0 earned at Bucks County Community College
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Transfer students who have successfully completed the above course requirements at another college or university must submit an official transcript to the Paralegal Area Coordinator for evaluation before enrolling into the course.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- In this course, students gain practical work experience either in a private or public sector under the supervision of an attorney or experienced paralegal in day-to-day, on-site office work. This course also includes internship seminar sessions.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of substantive and procedural law, including the operation of the legal system and the theory of law;
- Perform the duties of a legal assistant in the public or private sector or in a position relating to the practice of law; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical obligations and legal limitations of the legal assistant in the public or private sectors.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesThe following topics are presented:
Topics will vary and are dependent upon student placement. Students will complete 120 hours of work in a legal setting.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructors' course syllabus are utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/2012; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2015