HRIM136 Modern Plated Desserts
Department of Business Studies: Chef Apprenticeship
- I. Course Number and Title
- HRIM136 Modern Plated Desserts (Experimental)
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- 750 minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- HRIM105 or permission of the Department of Business Studies
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- A kitchen laboratory course which focuses on the development of the knowledge and skills required to produce modern plated desserts. These skills can be utilized by the hospitality worker/manager who desires to upgrade or broaden his/her knowledge. At he same time, the nature of this course lends itself to satisfying the needs of those students whose main reasons for taking the course are self-fulfillment and a desire for advanced knowledge of pastry and dessert presentation.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students will develop the ability to combine tastes, textures, and shapes to produce modern plated desserts. Students will gain knowledge of techniques and equipment needed to produce desserts, sauces and garnishes, and to use these components to create finished plated desserts that are both delicious and visually striking.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
- Demonstrate and understanding of the components involved in creating plated desserts.
- Produce the various dessert sauces to compliment each dessert.
- Exhibit the ability to assemble a plated dessert using separate components.
- Explain and apply appropriate techniques in planning, storing and serving desserts.
- Use safe and sanitary methods of handling foods.
- Organize tools, foods and sequences of activity for maximum efficiency in production.
- Produce acceptable desserts for public consumption.
- Demonstrate a respect for and a knowledge of the use of materials, equipment and food products in class.
- Handle equipment safely and efficiently in the kitchen lab from preparation to clean up.
- Discuss various employment settings and their different requirements as they pertain to production, storage and assembly of desserts.
- Evidence an ability to produce creative garnishes to compliment and enhance the look and taste of plated desserts.
- Build on the knowledge learned in class to create new combinations of desserts, sauces and garnishes.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Discuss the concept of modern plated desserts and the food components and equipment needed to create them.
- Produce a selection of garnished, sauces and desert items needed to create modern plated desserts.
- Assemble a number of finished desserts from components produced in class.
- Explore different ways to combine components produced during the course to create new dessert combinations.
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:
- The Professional Pastry Chef, 3rd edition. Bo Friberg
- Kitchen Uniform or appropriate clothing.
- Full length bib apron.
- Tool box of basic tolls/knives.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Presentation lecture, group discussion along with lab assignments are used as teaching methods in class.
Review/Approval Date - Unavailable