HITT280 Health Information Technology Externship
Department of Professional Studies: Health Information Technology
- I. Course Number and Title
- HITT280 Health Information Technology Externship
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- Completion of 120 Externship hours (7200 contact minutes)
- IV. Prerequisites
- Completion of all other HITT courses in the program with a grade of C or better and permission of the Department of Health Sciences
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Students must meet with an Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences faculty advisor. Site placement could be based on CGPA. Prior to Externship placement, students must submit:
- A "Request for Criminal Record Check"
- Child Abuse Clearance Form
- Certification of Health Status (forms are available in Penn 312)
- Certification in CPR: Healthcare Provider
- Verification of Liability Insurance
- Application for BCCC Student I.D. badge
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Health Information Technology Externship requires students to work a minimum of 120 clock hours at an off-campus healthcare site in a supervised practice experience.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- prepare and analyze health information while maintaining confidentiality;
- apply knowledge of record retention and release of information;
- apply ICD-9 and CPT codes while respecting confidentiality of medical information;
- demonstrate an understanding of management responsibilities within a Health Information Technology department; and
- demonstrate an understanding of legal and ethical processes within a healthcare organization.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesPrevious learned competencies in HITT105, HITT190, HITT217, HITT297, HITT298, and HITT299 will be performed while working in a Health Information Technology department assisting healthcare personnel.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
Final assessment includes an evaluation by the externship coordinator at the end of the externship experience. The externship instructor may take into consideration all or any combination of the following means of assessment:
- An externship journal analyzing professional experiences, skills learned or applied, the application of theory, related readings, and personal reactions
- A paper relating to the externship experience
- An evaluation of work performance by the site supervisor
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Revision/Approval Date: Approved 6/15/2011; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2017