EDUC210 Computers, Media, and the Teacher
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Education
Course Number and TitleEDUC210 Computers, Media, and the Teacher
Number of Credits3 credits
Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester2250
Other Pertinent InformationNone
Catalog Course DescriptionThis course is intended primarily for all educators and future educators. Through an exploration of multimedia usage, the focus is upon computers, interactive media, and the expansion of thinking and creating using technology.
Required Course Content and Direction
- Course Students will:
- use a computer effectively as a teaching tool, research, and record keeping device.
- identify factors influencing the adoption of computers in schools/classrooms.
- describe the uses of computers in diverse curriculum areas.
- effectively integrate computers into the curriculum.
- use tools such as word processors, data bases, spreadsheets, and desktop publishing.
- describe the ethical uses of computers in the classroom.
- evaluate software.
- navigate the Internet.
- Core (if applicable) Category III:
- determine the nature and extent of the information needed.
- determine the technologies and information formats appropriate for the information identified.
- access needed information effectively and efficiently.
- evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into their knowledge base and value system.
- develop an understanding of many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and access and use information legally and ethically.
- demonstrate an understanding of major ethical concerns.
Information LiteracyStudents will: Responsible CitizenshipStudents will:
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- technology trends in the schools
- use of technology in the classroom
- word processing
- data bases
- desktop publishing
- curriculum and instructional design
- problem solving
- visual learning
- use of computers in specific curriculum areas
- social sciences
- fine arts
- use of the internet
- teaching techniques
- lesson plans
- technology in teacher education
- technology for use with children with disabilities
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Departmentally selected textbook. Current articles from education journals. Details provided by the instructor of each course section. See Course Format.
Teaching Methods EmployedUse of lecture and hands-on instruction in a computer lab will be utilized at individual teacher's discretion.
Review/Approval Date - 4/99; Core Goals/Objectives added 3/05