EDUC206 Fieldwork: Observation and Assessment in Education II- PreK-4
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Education
- I. Course Number and Title
- EDUC206 Fieldwork: Observation and Assessment in Education II- PreK-4
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- EDUC105 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
A minimum of 20 hours of fieldwork is required.
Pennsylvania Department of Education clearances required.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students develop skills in interacting and observing children in an early childhood or elementary classroom. Students discuss issues in curriculum development and adaptation based on informal assessment instruments. Students assist with classroom instruction in a small group or one-to-one situation. Minimum twenty hours field experience.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- describe diversity of normal behavior present in children from birth to nine years of age;
- participate in the instruction of children in small group or one-to-one settings;
- use different types of observation instruments to describe children's behavior; and
- identify skills or deficits in behavior that may indicate a disability.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- methods of observing and recording behaviors
- anecdotal records
- running records
- event sampling
- time sampling
- rating scales
- emotional development
- social and play skills
- motor development
- language and literacy skills
- math and numeracy skills
- small group instruction
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on participation in classroom discussions, written exams, assignments, performance based assessments, field-based assessments and papers.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Approval/Revision Date: 7/2010; New Core 8/2015