BIOT275 Biotechnology Seminar
Department of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Biotechnology
- I. Course Number and Title
- BIOT275 Biotechnology Seminar
- II. Number of Credits
- 1 credit
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- BIOT125 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course is intended to prepare students for careers in Biotechnology. Topics include resume writing, interview skills, and discussion and presentation of scientific data. The course features speakers from the biotechnology industry and field trips to biotechnology laboratories.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- identify biotechnology employment and educational opportunities;
- write effective resumes and cover letters;
- practice and refine interview skills;
- research local biotechnology companies and orally present findings to classmates; and
- identify local and national trends in biotechnology employment.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- overview of careers and career paths in biotechnology
- overview of biotechnology industry and education in the region
- cover letter and resume writing
- job search and interview skills
- current and future trends in biotechnology industry and employment
- student presentations
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent progress and achievement is assessed through student participation, project presentations, worksheets, and take-home research assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Students use educational resources as approved by the department and specified in the individual instructor's syllabus.
Revision/Approval date- 3/2010; New Core 8/2015