VACV242 Cable TV Production II
Department of The Arts: Cinema/Video Production
- I. Course Number and Title
- VACV242 Cable TV Production II
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- VACV232 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Work outside of class is required. Video equipment is available to students enrolled in this class. Equipment sign-out procedures are reviewed in class, and procedures include equipment damage and late fees.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students participate in advanced digital video techniques and the production of two (2) twenty-eight minute cable television news shows ready for cablecast. Students also learn the process of creating, writing, and editing Public Service Announcements (PSA), and further their skills in studio and field production, computer graphics, and program assembly.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- plan, create, and produce two (2) twenty-eight minute cable television news shows;
- demonstrate an understanding of the complete post-production process of preparing live or taped, half-hour television programs;
- edit a live or taped television studio production;
- produce two Public Service Announcements (PSA);
- apply project management skills, from floor assistant to director, to bring television programs to completion; and
- analyze projects through critiques, oral presentations, and discussions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- lecture and demonstration of more advanced preplanning, production, application of computer graphics, and editing techniques
- review of studio and field production equipment
- review of non-linear and linear editing equipment
- present two post-productions and PSA productions
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudent assessment is based on the successful completion of assigned projects, the presentation of projects, and the demonstrated use of appropriate vocabulary in oral critiques.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 5/07; Revised 10/2010; New Core 8/2015