SPMT280 Sport Management Co-op
Department of Kinesiology and Sport Studies: Sport Management
- I. Course Number and Title
- SPMT280 Sport Management Co-op
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- 9000 minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- Permission of the Assistant Academic Dean of the HPEN Department. Must have completed all sport management Core courses with a 2.5 GPA in those courses.
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Department selected textbook. Details provided by the instructor supervising this internship.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- The student is required to perform 180 hours of internship at an affiliated training site. An attempt is made to match sites to the intern's professional interests and career goals. Periodic meetings between the College Coordinator and the student are held to review actual experience and observation.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Learning Goals:The student will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Sport Management site theory.
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional development at their site.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the history of their site.
- Associate the major areas of Sport Management in order to apply this knowledge base to their professional site area.
- Demonstrate basic marketing strategies associated with their professional site.
- Demonstrate the functioning of all jobs associated with their professional site.
- Demonstrate risk management and safety concerns associated with their professional site.
- Be able to communicate the specific job functions they carried out during their internship.
- Be able to articulate the function of this site/profession in the scope of the broader Sport Management continuum.
- Demonstrate proper techniques associated with communications, public relations, marketing and site management.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:Previous learned skills from courses taken in the Sport Management Major program of study will be applied during this internship component.
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Department will select text resources. See course format.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- The Sport Management Internship is supported by instructor site visits and specific meeting where students and instructor can review the on the job experiences and discuss strategies to apply this knowledge to the students professional development.
Review/Approval Date - Unavailable