PSYC100 Psychology of Personal Awareness
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Psychology
- I. Course Number and Title
- PSYC100 Psychology of Personal Awareness
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Students are required to perform five hours of service learning.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course promotes personal growth and discovery by exploring psychological theories, concepts and methods through an entrepreneurship service learning experience. Students are required to take initiative, communicate effectively, put theory into action, and tap into yet undiscovered personal potential. Topics include personality theories, career development, wellness, interpersonal relationships and diversity.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning GoalsStudents will:
- identify the various psychological research methods;
- recognize the factors that contribute to an individual's psychological development and apply this knowledge to themselves;
- describe how coping strategies can be applied to their lives;
- examine major psychological theories that address interpersonal relations; and
- demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset through career development and service learning.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesThe following topics are presented:
- definitions of adjustment and the healthy personality
- theories of personality
- frustration, conflict and stress management
- social influence
- conflict resolution and assertiveness training
- human sexuality and intimate relationships
- world of work
- issues facing women and minorities
- entrepreneurial mindset and service learning
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified in the individual instructor's course syllabus are utilized. A minimum of four examinations are administered. Students complete a pre/post survey assessing their propensity for entrepreneurial skills.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:Students use educational resources as specified in the individual instructor's syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 12/03; Core Goals/Objectives added 12/03; Revised 11/04; Revised 3/2010; New Core 8/2015; Revised 02/2018