OADM250 Office Transcription Skills
Department of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Office Administration
- I. Course Number and Title
- OADM250 Office Transcription Skills
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MEDA140 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course develops skills in office transcription techniques from the translation of recorded correspondence, reports, and records to properly formatted documents used in various office settings. Emphasis is placed on grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence sense, capitalization, number expression, word usage, and proofreading skills. Students prepare typed transcripts of material dictated.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- use basic machine transcription techniques for document processing;
- perform proofreading techniques to transcribe documents; and
- use correct capitalization, grammar, and punctuation in sentences and dictated documents.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- an introduction to office transcription
- sentence structure
- agreement principle
- verb tenses, selected verb forms
- gauging transcription power
- compound sentences, comma conjunction
- transcription guide, memorandums, spelling
- introductory and parenthetical expressions
- parenthetical expressions and series items, manuscripts, business reports, and form letters
- banking, insurance, manufacturing, travel, and publishing transcription practice
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals is based on performance-based transcription tests, quizzes, written tests, and a final transcription applications project.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 10/98; Revised 1/2010; New Core 8/2015