OADM226 Microsoft Word-Advanced
Department of Business Studies: Office Administration
Course Number and TitleOADM226 Microsoft Word-Advanced
Number of Credits3 credits
Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester2250 minutes
Other Pertinent InformationA classroom with computers using a Windows platform is required.
Catalog Course DescriptionA second-level course where productivity is emphasized through the application of advanced word processing functions.
Required Course Content and Direction
- Produce and format business documents using headers, footers, watermarks, and newspaper columns in order to customize documents.
- Acquire knowledge and facility in using advanced word processing features such as workgroup editing, creating and importing worksheets, and using charts and forms.
- Design and format documents that involve features, such as graphics, special characters, and document borders.
- Prepare documents using macros and create macro templates.
- Develop documentation using macros and create macro templates.
- Develop documentation using mail merge, sort lists, and sort records to be merged.
- Generate reference documents using bookmarks, cross-referencing and indexing.
- Manage files by creating subdirectories, using document summary information, and protecting documents.
- Category III – Information Literacy: Students will:
- determine the nature and extent of the information needed.
- determine the technologies and information formats appropriate for information identified.
- access needed information effectively and efficiently.
- evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporate selected information into their knowledge base and value system.
- develop an understanding of many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the information and access and use information legally and ethically.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Use text flow options (Widows/Orphans options and keeping lines together)
- Used non-breaking spaces
- Create watermarks
- Format first page differently than subsequent pages
- Create footnotes and endnotes
- Revise footnotes and endnotes
- Track changes to a document
- Insert comments
- Route documents
- Highlight text in document
- Create multiple conversions of a document
- Create master documents
- Balance column length
- Keep text in columns together
- Import worksheets in a table
- Modify worksheets in a table
- Perform calculations in a table
- Create worksheets in a table
- Create and modify charts
- Import data into charts
- Create and modify a form
- Create catalogs and lists
- Create and modify page borders
- Apply paragraph and section shading
- Add graphics
- Delete and position graphics
- Change page orientation
- Insert fields
- Insert special characters
- Record and run macros
- Edit macros
- Copy, rename, and delete macros
- Use macros to create templates
- Merge a document using variable data
- Sort lists, paragraphs, tables
- Sort records to be merged
- Create and modify a table of contents
- Create and modify an index
- Create cross-reference
- Use bookmarks
- Protect documents
- Add comments to the file properties
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:See course outline
Teaching Methods EmployedLecture, demonstration, and activities that lead to the creation of original documents designed to give students practice in their writing skills along with demonstrating their knowledge of the Word 97 program.
Review/Approval Date - 10/98; Core Goals/Objectives added 4/04