OADM115 Legal Terminology
Department of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Office Administration
- I. Course Number and Title
- OADM115 Legal Terminology
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This is an introductory course in legal terminology designed to acquaint the legal secretarial student with the law office. The major focus is on legal terminology and legal documents that are relevant to a law office.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the law and proper usage of legal terminology while learning to spell and define legal terms;
- use of a legal dictionary/thesaurus; and
- demonstrate an understanding of basic legal concepts necessary to work in a legal field.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- terms used in criminal law
- terms used in law of torts
- terms used in law of contracts
- terms used in law of personal property and agency
- terms used in practice and procedures
- terms used in law of wills and estates
- terms used in law of real property
- terms used in family law
- terms used in law of negotiable instruments
- terms used in business organization and bankruptcy
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals is based on classroom discussions, written exams, assignments, papers, and/or performance based tasks and projects.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 3/99; Revised 1/2010; New Core 8/2015