MKTG143 Public Relations Management
Department of Business Studies: Marketing
- I. Course Number and Title
- MKTG143 Public Relations Management
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course deals with the application of public relations tools and techniques and the management of public relations campaigns. Topics include methods of public relations research, strategic planning, preparation of public relations materials, and the use of controlled and uncontrolled media.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- integrate public relations into marketing by using public relations research and strategic planning;
- organize and promote special events;
- create related content for publications;
- work and communicate competently in a variety of broadcast media for public relations coverage; and
- demonstrate an understanding of how to manage crises and public issues.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- introduction to public relations
- public relations practitioners
- management process of public relations
- communications in public relations
- ethics and professionalism
- crisis management
- legal considerations
Assessment Methods for Course Learning Goals
- Students are assessed on a public relations plan in which they will organize and promote special events and create related content for publications.
- Students are assessed on a complete media campaign using integrated marketing communications based on their PR (public relations) plan.
- Case studies in crisis management are analyzed and assessed.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date 5/15/08; Revised 11/2011; New Core 8/2015