MEDA287 Phlebotomy Externship (formerly MEDA230)
Department of Health Sciences: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA287 Phlebotomy Externship (formerly MEDA230)
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- Completion of 120 Externship hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- Completion of all courses in the Phlebotomy Certificate program with a C or better and permission of the Department of Health Sciences
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Students must meet with the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences to begin the required application process. Site placement is based on student's GPA and MEDA204, Phlebotomy Procedures, and Techniques instructor's recommendation. Students who receive a grade of less than C in MEDA287 may not re-enroll in the Phlebotomy Certificate program. MEDA287 must be taken within two semesters of completion of MEDA204. A national board exam is offered on campus and can be taken prior to the externship.
Prior to Externship placement, students must submit (at their own expense):
- Request for FBI and State Police Check;
- Child Abuse History Clearance Form;
- Certification of Health Status and Required Immunizations;
- Proof of Current Certification in CPR: Health Care Provider;
- Verification of Liability Insurance; and
- Drug and Alcohol Screens.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students participate in an on-the-job experience in an affiliated healthcare facility perfecting venipuncture skills and perform a minimum of 100 successful venipunctures under supervision. Students are evaluated for technical proficiency and professionalism by the supervisor using criteria established by the coordinator in conjunction with the healthcare facility standards of performance.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- utilize their academic and clinical experience to obtain practice necessary to increase their skills;
- employ effective communication with patients and members of the healthcare team; and
- comply with the required number of hours and successful venipunctures set by the college.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- Students are required to attend and participate in an externship meeting arranged by the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences.
- Students must complete 120 hours of practice and maintain a daily log sheet to register days, times, and hours worked that will be signed by the student and the student's supervisor. The log will be submitted to the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences and verified and evaluated as part of the student's final grade.
- Students are evaluated for technical proficiency and professional characteristics by his/her supervisor using criteria established by the coordinator in conjunction with the healthcare sites standards of performance.
- Each student submits a resume and a completed externship questionnaire to the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsCourse learning goals are assessed by an evaluation of the student log, a written assignment, and resume submitted to the Clinical Coordinator, Health Sciences.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 11/02; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009 Number change 2014; Revised-3/2015; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2017