MEDA279 Medical Transcription II
Department of Business Studies: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA279 Medical Transcription II
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MEDA275 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This intermediate-level course will provide skills needed to accurately transcribe physician-dictated reports. Emphasis is on developing accuracy, speed, and medical knowledge for transcribing chart notes, history and physical examination reports, consultations, and discharge summaries. Students will be prepared for entry-level employment in doctors' offices and clinics.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- prepare transcribed chart notes, history and physical examination reports, consultations, operative reports, discharge summaries, and autopsy reports in all specialty areas using correct medical terminology and abbreviations while complying to HIPAA regulations and using the latest version of MS Word or web-based medical transcription software; and
- prepare and edit a transcript to correct obvious grammatical and punctuation errors.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- radiology transcription
- pathology transcription
- orthopedic transcription
- gastrointestinal transcription
- cardiology transcription
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on classroom discussions, quizzes, performance based transcription tests, and weekly performance-based transcription assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 12/98; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; New Core 8/2015