MEDA216 Medical Insurance, Billing and Reimbursement
Department of Professional Studies: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA216 Medical Insurance, Billing and Reimbursement
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- MEDA140 or
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course covers advanced medical administrative procedures using billing software. Topics including maintaining files, entering patient data, inputting insurance, posting transactions, generating reports, and scheduling appointments are covered.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- schedule appointments, file claims, record data, and print reports using medical billing software;
- perform basic medical administrative functions;
- demonstrate an understanding of third-party insurance guidelines; and
- determine physician reimbursement through accurate claim submission.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- maintaining patient records
- managing medical records
- scheduling electronic appointments
- processing insurance claims
- bookkeeping and banking
- billing and collections
- accounts payable, payroll, and contracts
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on classroom discussions, written exams, assignments, papers, and/or performance-based tasks and projects.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 3/99; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; New Core 8/2015