MEDA215 Medical Administrative Procedures
Department of Professional Studies: Allied Health & Nursing: Medical Assisting
- I. Course Number and Title
- MEDA215 Medical Administrative Procedures
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- OADM140 or
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course examines the role and function of the medical professional. Topics including patient education, compliance with HIPAA, and relationships with health care providers are covered. Students are introduced to the latest in financial procedures, financial management concepts, and communication technology and skills essential in preparing them for today's job market.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate an understanding of the role of the health care worker while performing administrative duties;
- perform basic bookkeeping
- demonstrate an understanding of procedural and diagnostic coding while using computer simulation software; and
- perform office operational functions.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- professional and career responsibilities
- interpersonal communication
- written communication
- financial administration
- managing the medical office
- career opportunities
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsStudents will be assessed by quizzes, tests, in-class activities, office related simulations, and article summaries.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 3/99; Revised 4/05; Revised 12/2009; New Core 8/2015