LAWS255 Ethics for the Paralegal
Department of Business Studies: Paralegal/Law
- I. Course Number and Title
- LAWS255 Ethics for the Paralegal
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- LAWS100 (C or better) and LAWS140 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- This course utilizes a learning management space to supplement course materials.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- This course examines ethical requirements under the Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct and the National Federation of Paralegal Associations. Specific topics include attorney regulation, and paralegals, the unauthorized practice of law, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, advertising, solicitation, fees, client funds, competency and professionalism.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct and the National Federation of Paralegal Associations;
- Develop an understanding of attorney regulation, paralegal regulation, professionalism, and the unauthorized practice of law; and
- Use and apply knowledge to assess ethical issues, including confidentiality, conflict of interest, advertising, solicitation, fees, and client funds.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesThe following topics are presented:
- The Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct
- The National Federation of Paralegal Associations
- Attorney regulation
- Paralegal Regulation
- Unauthorized practice of law
- Conflicts of Interest
- Client funds
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructors' course syllabus are utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Approval/Revision Date: Approved 9/2014; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2015