HRIM200 Hotel and Lodging Operations Management
Department of Business Studies: Business Studies Department Archive
- I. Course Number and Title
- HRIM200 Hotel and Lodging Operations Management Course No Longer Offered
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- HRIM100 (C or better) or permission of the Department of Business Studies
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- Beginning Fall 2018, this number of this course is HOSP200.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- In this course, students examine the responsibilities of front office staff in the hotel/tourism industries. Specific topics include public relations, sales promotions, cash control procedures, night audit and accounting techniques, checking guests in and out, handling mail and other guest information, and emergency procedures.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- Understand and discuss the general responsibilities of front office staff in hotels and other facilities which offer overnight lodging;
- Develop an understanding of the specific responsibilities of front office staff, including public relations, sales, cash control procedures, and accounting; and
- Use and apply knowledge of the role of front desk staff to successfully complete check-in procedures, handle mail and other guest information, and emergency procedures.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
The following topics are presented:
- Reservations and registration procedures
- Public relations
- Sales promotions
- Cash control procedures
- Night audit and accounting techniques
- Check-in and check-out procedures
- Guest services
- Guest information
- Emergency procedures
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsExams, quizzes, classroom exercises, class or online participation, and/or projects as specified by the area faculty and described in the individual instructor's syllabus are utilized.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 4/99; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/18/2015