HRIM115 Computer Reservations and Travel Information Systems
Department of Business Studies: Hospitality and Tourism Management
Course Number and TitleHRIM115 Computer Reservations and Travel Information Systems
Number of Credits3 credits
Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester2250 minutes
Other Pertinent InformationNone
Catalog Course DescriptionThis course is designed to provide an understanding of various aspects of the travel and tourism reservations and information systems. Development of skills in utilizing automated computerized systems.
Required Course Content and Direction
Learning Goals:The student will:
- achieve a competency in using product and technical information.
- develop skills in using software and hardware systems to access travel information and in making appropriate reservations.
- utilize and interpret professional industry references to assist clients.
- develop reservation and ticketing skills.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Essentials of the computer system: hardware and software
- Components of the travel/meeting plannerís computer workstation
- Basic software programs used in direct applications of tourism/meeting planning
- Computer reservations systems
- Amadeus/System One
- Computer reservations storage and communication systems and devices
- ARINC (Aeronautical Radio Incorporated Computer)
- Passenger Name Record (PNR)
- PNR Mandatory fields
- Internet as a communication, marketing, information services, and product sales tool
- Web Site commandments for successful design and use.
- Travel Related Data
- Travel advisory warnings
- Ski Conditions
- Customs and Immigration Policies
- Currency Conversions
- Yacht Vacation/Activities
- International Rail Schedules and Ticketing
- Destination Maps
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:The learning materials used by students will be selected in accordance with the learning objectives. See course formats.
Teaching Methods EmployedStudents will participate in the creation of various types of computerized and paper reservation systems and ticketing. Students will present individual and group ticketing and reservation assignments. Course will include presentations by local software developers of ticketing and reservation systems. International and domestic ticketing will also be required.
Quizzes and tests at appropriate subject intervals will add to serve as a basis for learning and grading.
Review/Approval Date - 11/03