HITT285 Medical Coding/Billing Externship (formerly HITT240)
Department of Health Sciences: Health Information Technology
- I. Course Number and Title
- HITT285 Medical Coding/Billing Externship (formerly HITT240)
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- Completion of 120 Externship hours
- IV. Prerequisites
- Completion of all courses in the Medical Coding/Billing Certificate program with a C or better and permission of the Department of Health Sciences
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Medical Coding/Billing Certificate students will apply coding/billing principles in a health care provider setting. Students will gain 120 hours of experience in International Classification of Diseases Coding Modifiers (current ICD curriculum) and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding systems and related activities.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- prepare, analyze, and report health information while maintaining confidentiality;
- manage information for cost control in a healthcare setting;
- classify, code, and index diagnoses and procedures while respecting confidentiality of medical information; and
- demonstrate an awareness of patient confidentiality by respecting patient information and security.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning ActivitiesPrevious learned competencies in MEDA120, MEDA190, MEDA205, MEDA215, MEDA215, MEDA297, MEDA298, and MEDA299 will be performed while working in a medical facility assisting office personnel.
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals will be based on site supervisor evaluations, Externship Instructor evaluations, and written assignments.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date - 10/04; Revised 12/2009; Course Number Revised 6/2011 & 5/2014; New Core 8/2015; Revised 12/2017; Revised 04/2018