EDUC220 Practicum in Education
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Education
- I. Course Number and Title
- EDUC220 Practicum in Education
- II. Number of Credits
- 6 credits
- III. Minimum Number of Instructional Minutes Per Semester
- IV. Prerequisites
- Current enrollment in Early Childhood, Childcare, or Instructional Assistant program, academic qualification, and permission of the Department of Social & Behavioral Science, EDUC105 (C or better), EDUC115 (C or better); Instructional Assistant: EDUC100 (C or better), PSYC180 (C or better); Childhood Certificate: EDUC115 (C or better), EDUC142 (C or better)
- V. Other Pertinent Information
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- A "hands-on" experience in a local school, or childcare placement; contact hours = 15 hours weekly on site, frequent supervisory visitations, and weekly conference. The seminar included clarifies the: school, or childcare organization, staff responsibilities, an orientation of professional ethics, and develops an appreciation of the profession.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
- Understanding of the teaching profession.
- Development of a philosophy of education and teaching style.
- Development of the ability to design age appropriate activities for young children.
- Understanding the responsibilities of a teacher/child care professional.
- Develop the ability to design and implement age appropriate lessons in a classroom setting.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities:
- Writing behavioral and general instructional objectives
- Writing lesson plans
- Ethical behavior
- Job interview/writing resumes
- State rules and regulations for day care settings
- Classroom management
- Use of computers in the classroom
- Children with special needs in the preschool classroom
- Teacher certification
Assessment Methods for Core Learning Goals:
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Students:Departmentally selected textbook. Details provided by the instructor of each course section. See course format.
- VIII. Teaching Methods Employed
- Working in a classroom observing, designing, and implementing lesson plans 15 hours a week. Seminar and collaborating with cooperating teacher and practicum supervisor.
Review/Approval Date -11/98