EDUC200 Integrated Arts, Movement and Play
Department of Social & Behavioral Science: Education
- I. Course Number and Title
- EDUC200 Integrated Arts, Movement and Play
- II. Number of Credits
- 3 credits
- III. Number of Instructional Minutes
- IV. Prerequisites
- V. Other Pertinent Information
Five hours of field experience.
Pennsylvania Department of Education clearances required.
- VI. Catalog Course Description
- Students study integrating children's creativity, play, music, movement, and the arts into the curriculum. This course emphasizes process over product in guiding children to creatively express themselves in art, movement, and play. Students learn how to effectively support goals of multicultural education and exceptional learners. Course involves field experience.
- VII. Required Course Content and Direction
Course Learning Goals
- demonstrate how to integrate creativity, play, music and movement activities into the PreK-4 curriculum;
- demonstrate a philosophy and appropriate techniques through the creation of lesson plans that teach art, music and movement to all children;
- examine the value of play as a means of self-expression;
- describe and illustrate how the power of play leads to the development of social, emotional, cognitive, and physical competencies; and
- support the role of creativity, music, movement and play for the special needs child and diverse families.
Planned Sequence of Topics and/or Learning Activities
- foundations of creative thought
- the creative arts
- art within the curriculum
- different media
- lesson planning
- supporting children's play
- understanding and encouraging play and creative drama in the classroom
- the value of play
- nature of play
- purpose of play
- stages of play
- diversity and play
- outdoor play
- supporting the importance of play with families
- music and movement
- fostering playful, healthy, physical activity
- designing environments to support creativity and the arts
- the role of the teacher
- using quality children's literature to support the creative arts
Assessment Methods for Course Learning GoalsThe assessment of course learning goals is based on participation in classroom discussions, written exams, assignments, papers, field experience, and performance based tasks and projects.
Reference, Resource, or Learning Materials to be used by Student:See course syllabus.
Review/Approval Date -4/99; Revised 11/2012; New Core 8/2015